Sunday, May 12, 2013

History Along the Trail

In reading all the wonderful books I am finding, the history that is brought up and discovered along the way has made the stories so much more interesting.   I look forward to crossing these paths of history as I make my way North.  To know that people before me were in these places changing the course of our lives before we were even born and after.

I will record my findings following the map of the Appalachian Trail and welcome any additional information you would like to share.

Benton MacKaye dreamed up this idea of the Appalachian Trail in 1921. Myron Avery, chairman of the Appalachian Trail Conference worked 21 years helped make this dream a reality.    Because of all those who helped in this creation and maintain it even now, we are able to hike this trail today.  Thank you!

1925 the ATC  Appalachian Trail Conference began.   An organization for maintaining the trail through membership clubs. 

1948 Earl Shaffer completed the first thru-hike.

1968 the National Trails System Act was signed in.  Federal Protection for hiking trails.


No comments:

Post a Comment