Saturday, April 27, 2013

"The Appalachian Trail" by Ronald M. Fisher

I've been laid up for the last few days with a "Flu".. I don't know what flu but one that made every muscle and joint ache.  My head and spine throb.  Most of you have probably experienced this at one time or another.   My daughter Sharon, nursed me to health with chicken soup, saltines, flu medicines and cola to sip on.  But even more, she covered my work so I could stay in bed,   Thanks Sharon! 

I decided that it would be a good topic to research in reference to the AT.  It is something good to know if you get hit by the flu or any other illness during the hike.

But I won't research it right now.  I'm starting to feel better and it feels good.  Instead, I picked up and read "The Appalachian Trail" by Ronald M. Fisher.  Published by  National Geographic in 1972. 
        


I do realize that the AT has seen many changes over forty one years but this book was still a pleasure to read.  It's full of history that happened along the AT.  That will never change. It changes the names on the map to places where important events took place.

The photography by Dick Durrance II is fantastic.  I would expect no less from National Geographic.

There are wonderful quotes on hiking that are worth collecting.  I'll make two postings that can be updated.  One to cover the history and another to cover the quotes as I learn more and more.

This hike will be more than just a walk in the woods..

Hummingbird "Nesting and Resting"...

No comments:

Post a Comment