Thursday, September 26, 2013

Georgia on my mind.. Amicalola Falls State Park

Welcome to Autumn!   It has been a very long while since I have written here.  It's getting close to the 6 month mark to take off!  I can't believe time has moved so quickly.  Yes, it will be here before I know it!

Good News!  I am now Ellie Baughman..  Rick and I have made that decision to become a married couple.  It's good.  The hike is still on and will have that added challenge of being apart.  A most difficult challenge.

Before I begin at Springer Mountain, I do plan to hike the Approach Trail in Amicalola Falls State Park. Named by the Cherokee meaning "tumbling waters".

The the Approach Trail includes the "Falls". Beginning at the Reflection Pond, with 604 staircase steps to the top of the Falls.  It's 8.5-miles to the Springer Mountain summit.   What a workout that will be to start on!  Ha.

I plan to spend the first night at the base of the Falls at the Max Epperson Shelter for thru hikers only.  That way, I can begin my hike early and get to the top of Springer Mountain to prepare for another early morning start. If I just can't make it to the top, there is the Black Gap Shelter 1.3 miles from Springer.

There is a visitor center for hikers to sign in and weigh their packs. There is also the "Arch" for that photo moment!



File:Amicalola-Falls Main Dawsonville-GA 01.jpg
Named by the Cherokee people, it is the beginning of the "Trail of Tears" when they were driven away to live in the Ozarks. 

http://www.southernhiker.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/img-1559.jpg



















































































No comments:

Post a Comment